Fried corn (bắp xào) is one of the most popular snacks sold at rolling carts on Saigon streets. It is an easy-to-make yet absolutely flavourful dish. In the original version, tiny dried shrimp and butter are used to add the umami and richness to the sweet corn. In our recipe, mushroom and curry leaves are added to do the job.
You can enjoy the dish as a light meal or serve it as a side with rice. If you don’t have fresh curry leaves, add any fresh/dried herbs that you have on hand.
Total cooking time: 10 mins
- 2 cups of corn kernels
- 100g Shimeji or Oyster Mushroom
- 2-3 branches of fresh curry leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Asian shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine or sake
- Cut the root and separate the mushroom. Rinse them in cold water and set aside.
- Heat a frypan over high heat, add 1tablespoon neutral oil. Add garlic and shallot. Stir-fry until they are fragrant.
- Add the corn and mushroom and stir for 2-3 minutes. Season with soy sauce and rice wine. Toss in curry leaves and serve warm.